|Picture courtesy of Mindy Beckner|
**Is it a scam?
Do you have to comply?
I spoke to Council Member Bridgette Moore, and she made several good points on the matter.
- First, you are under no obligation to have your curb painted.
- Second, it's illegal for them to represent themselves as having a contract, or permission, with/from the city.
- Third, there are new "storm water" guidelines that would dictate the type of paints used.
- If this was a city sanctioned project, you would have proper notification and you would NOT be asked to give the workmen cash.
- This is typically an "under the table" operation when they are telling you to give them cash. (my paraphrasing)
Two opinions here.
First, these guys are pros... well, at least as pro as the stereo salesmen that work out of white vans in grocery store parking lots that is... or the guys that try and sell you a side of beef out of the same white van. It's a tough economy out there, but you have to decide who you want to do business with... even if it's just for $15. This particular set up operates out of Vista... so it's not even a local company.
Second, if you think your curb needs repainting, they've mastered the fine art of 'how to paint numbers on curbs', so if you'd like to have it done... that's your choice.
The "contribution" is a trick... errrr, I mean it's a suggestion, and I gave them $5 a couple years back.
--------------------------------------------------------Just know that the only requirement for addresses is that they are visible from the home near the front door or other entry. Also, I forwarded the Riverside Newsletter on the topic, to the code enforcement department, and to Council Member Moore.
She's looking to have a Wildomar specific version drawn up, based on our codes, and posted to the city's website so that it'll be easy for locals to find it when they search for it.
It's great to see how things can get done when people work together.
|Hey, I can still read the numbers so we know they don't use water colors.|
Think about subscribing to Wildomar Rap... there are several ways to do that. Email, RSS and FaceBook. Free is a pretty good price.