Friday, March 16, 2018

• Memorial Service for Kirk Schrader

A full house attended the memorial service of Kirk Schrader at the Methodist Church in Murrieta. 
The two programs handed out at the service.
"I'll Fly Away" by Alan Jackson was played over the PA system, followed by a prayer by Senior Pastor Rev. Scott Andrews.
Even in his younger days, he grew a helluva beard and mustache.
This was followed by two lifelong friends, Don Reed and Jason Woempner, regaling the gathered with stories stretching all the way back to little league, some 50 years ago through the most recent times, regarding Kirk's fierce competitiveness, his zeal for the outdoors and family.

Wildomar colleague, Daniel Torres, read a passage from the bible (John 14:1-3) and shared some thoughts about Kirk.
"He gave me an opportunity. He saw past what everyone else saw, he saw past my hurt, he saw past my flaws, but he gave me an opportunity. As long as I continued to work for him, I saw that."
Kirk's wife Michelle Schrader, sitting in the front row, listens as Daniel Torres eulogizes Kirk.
The service concluded with prayer and the Alan Jackson song "How Great Thou Art".

I was fortunate enough to have known him, as he and I played baseball on the same beer league team about 10 years ago. Years later, I met him at Windsong Park as part of The Great Day of Service of 2013. 

I knew his face right away, but am not always that good with names, but he came right up to me, calling me by name, and took a sincere interest in the conversation we had. He was always such a kind and engaging person when I met him at park events in town.

Many condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed.

1 comment:

Let's hear what you have to say... for other inquiries try the email listed under "view my complete profile" but if you want to discuss a blog topic, I'll only do it in this comment section, not by email.