Thursday, October 8, 2020

• Better Know a Candidate: Bridgette Moore

I want to state at the outset this edition of "Better Know a Candidate" that it will be different from others for two reasons. 

First, due to Covid19 (and my loathing of transcribing) this was done through email. Usually I sit down with the candidate and chat for an hour.

August Blog Regarding This Race

The second reason it'll be different is due to this little thing called "The Brown Act".

Since Bridgette Moore and I are already on city council, I can't ask her about specific items that could find their way to a city council agenda.

If endorsements matter, Bridgette Moore has been endorsed by Wildomar Rap.

 WR  How did you arrive in this area?
 BM  My husband and I were looking for a house to purchase and the last house our realtor took us to was our home in Wildomar. Because I moved a lot as a child and I wanted a place to call home and we have been able to put our roots down in Wildomar. Our son was only a year old when we moved to Wildomar in September 1998.

 WR  Having served for many years and knowing what responsibilities come with the seat, what are some aspects that many voters may not be aware of? The things you do in the name of the city outside of city council meetings?
 BM  
Each councilmember represents the city on various regional boards. Since October 2019, I’ve been the Chairwoman for the Riverside Transit Agency (RTA). I’m the representative for the Southwest Communities Financing Authority (SCFA) for the Joint Powers Authority (JPA) for the animal shelter in Wildomar. 

I’m, also, on the LEUSD 2x2 committee where two councilmembers and two school board members meet to discuss mutual issues and concerns.
Bridgette hosting The State of the City event when she was Mayor in 2016.


 WR  You've been on council for 12 years now. Initially you were not going to run, what changed your mind? 
 BM  I started volunteering for our community in the year 2000 and after 20 years, I thought I would be ready to be done but then the pandemic hit. I felt this wasn’t a good time for a change in leadership. We need experienced leadership to guide our city, residents and businesses out of this pandemic safely.  I love serving our community. 
Bridgette, along with one of Dustin Nigg's daughters, placing a wreath at the Memorial Day event in the past. 

 WR  What is your day job?
 BM  I work in the treasury department for a mortgage lender. I’m at the end of the home buying process and my department wires the mortgage funds to the settlement agent. On a daily basis, I’m responsible for all cash management of the company, which is more that our entire city budget.

 WR  Wildomar has changed considerable since the freeway was built in the mid 80s, what is your approach to balancing the rural areas of Wildomar with the areas that aren't rural.
 BM  Our residents desire options for the type of housing that they want to live in and the city needs to balance these needs.  Last Saturday, I met with a local realtor and all her calls are for families that want larger lots and “breathing room.”  

Bridgette serving the campers after the 2019 campout in the park event.
We are rural and our community desires that lifestyle. However, we do need to provide amenities, shopping and restaurants and those types of developments shall be placed in the appropriate areas. District 4 has many ranches and large lots and my desire is for it to stay that way.

 WR  The topic of term limits comes up often, and for every level of elected office. What are your thoughts on the subject in general, and for Wildomar in particular?
 BM   For higher offices, I wouldn’t be opposed to term limits but not for local municipalities.  We do receive a stipend of $400.00 a month which basically covers your gasoline and expenses at various events. 

If the voters like the way they are being represented and want to reelect a resident, then that is democracy. It goes the same for voters that want a change and they elect a different person. Theoretically, we do have term limits because it is up to the voters to decide who they want to represent them.
As it's been said many times before, there is far more to the job of being on city council than city council meetings. Here you see Bridgette in her "ambassador of the city" role, donating her time at an event at Wildomar Elementary.


 WR  What are your top three concerns for Wildomar?
 BM  My top three priorities are: Roads. Wildomar has over 120 centerline miles of paved roads to maintain. We, also, have 50 centerline miles of dirt roads. Although, many of our dirt roads were not accepted for maintenance we need to figure out a solution that addresses these types of roads.  We just finished a paving maintenance project on 11 streets under the City Pavement Management Program. As soon as the project was finished, staff started working on the next batch of streets. As soon as the planning for the next batch is ready, I will get that information out to our citizens. And after that batch, will be the next batch and we won’t stop. 

Next is Economic Development. The council just approved a study to be completed by Kosmont. This study is an assessment of our community and will identify which businesses would be a good fit here in our city and for the region. With the addition of Kimberly Davidson, our first economic development director, and this study, Wildomar is positioned to attract new businesses, which in turn creates local jobs and increases our tax base that can be used for more services for our residents.

The next issue is litter and illegal dumping. Through various organizations, I have picked up litter in our city for years but in July, it really turned into a concentrated effort.  This effort has turned into a movement with volunteers coming out to help in their community.  I want to take these efforts even further and create a Beautification Committee.  This new committee would encourage input from our residents and expand participation. I would love to add some “art” to our roadways and have the utility boxes wrapped. 

This Committee could organize community projects and seek sponsorships. Along this line, we are seeing an uptick in illegal dumps and we need patrols, cameras and prosecution to stop these dumps. Over the past few months our staff has been picking up 5 to 10 illegal dumps a week! This has to stop.

 WR  You have long been part of many groups in Wildomar, for those that don't know you, give us an idea of the things Bridgette Moore has been part of during your time here and how that's benefitted the community. 
 BM  I first started volunteering to bring parks back to Wildomar. When we moved here the parks were open and a year later they closed. Myself and many residents fought for 7 years and our parks reopened. Meanwhile there were annexation attempts and I joined the Wildomar Incorporation Now (WIN) committee. I volunteered for 5 years for WIN. Not many people can say they helped a city to incorporate. 

One of the best ways to see our residents doing great things in our community, is to volunteer or join our local nonprofits. My son was in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts and my husband volunteered as Cubmaster and Scoutmaster, we were a Scouting family. I have assisted with many Eagle Projects and Girl Scout Gold Award Projects.

I’ve been a member of the Elks Lodge for 13 years and I was awarded the 2019 Elks Distinguished Citizenship Award. 

Since my grandfather served in WWII, I’m egible to join the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Auxiliary. I’ve been a member for 8 years and I’m the current Auxiliary Treasurer.

Bridgette Moore and Jana Vicario, donating their time to wrap Christmas gifts for underprivileged families at the VFW.

Soon after Cityhood, our residents wanted a Rotary Club and I am an inaugural member and the current President for the Wildomar Rotary Club.

Because my father passed away from pancreatic cancer and my mom is a survivor, I volunteer for American Cancer Society Relay For Life. Also, I’m a member of the Friends of the Wildomar Library, advisory council for Dresses & Dreams and the Co-Secretary for Cops For Kids.

I support our businesses and attend Chamber events, mixers and actively promote our businesses.

In 2009, I was awarded Community Volunteer of the Year
In 2012, I was awarded Citizen of the year.
Over the years Bridgette has helped immeasurably with local youth.

 WR  Any last thoughts you'd like to get to the voters?
 BM  It has been my great honor to represent our residents in District 4 and all residents via regional boards. 
Whether it is a question or a complaint, I do assist residents from all over our great city and I think I’m tagged on Facebook just about every day! 

I’m easily accessible and post my cell phone and email address constantly so that residents can contact me to discuss their issue. I meet with residents in person or on zoom, whichever is more comfortable for them. I’ve known for being responsive to our residents. 

My city cell is 951-219-0951 and my personal cell is 951-440-6796 and city email bmoore@cityofwildomar.org or bridgette@mooreforwildomarcitycouncil.com
My passion is serving our community and I appreciate your support. 

Please vote Bridgette Moore for District 4.

At Marna O'Brien park with The Beatles tribute band. Oddly, I've actually heard some of her opponents supporters badmouth park events, and I haven't heard Kenny Mayes say a word about it. Is he going to be on stage like Bridgette at park events if he wins, or will he aim to curtail such events? 

Opinion Time: 

For those that have made it this far into the blog, I have also offered a similar blog to Kenny Mayes, but he politely declined without explanation. 
District 4, it's your time to choose who you want representing you.

If I take the same rationale that he used with skipping the Candidates Forum put on by the Murrieta/Wildomar Chamber of Commerce, that he thinks he won't get a fair shot. In this case because Wildomar Rap has already endorsed his opponent, so be it. 

All that tells me is that's how he conducts his business. That he cannot separate his personal choices from his professional duties/obligations. It's called projecting.

I also had a resident that thought I should hold onto petty political garbage and support Kenny because Bridgette didn't endorse me in 2018, and that Bridgette and I had a (somewhat) rocky year and a half after I took the oath of office.

Sorry, but this election is not about Joseph Morabito's feelings, it's about who is the best to represent the residents of Wildomar. Bridgette is far and away the superior choice for the city and District 4 even if she and I don't vote the same on many agenda items.

It'll be up to the voters of District 4 and who they would rather be answering their questions and demands through phone calls, email and social media. 
•                •                •

Measure twice, cut once.

– Cheshire Proverb of the 19th century.

The measure of Wildomar Rap can't be determined by a mass produced device from Stanley.


This blog was produced for viewing on a desktop or a laptop. Though it's been optimized for smartphones, the formatting can look odd on a smartphone or if you get this delivered through email (such as missing video links). Link to proper format.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear what you have to say... for other inquiries try the email listed under "view my complete profile" but if you want to discuss a blog topic, I'll only do it in this comment section, not by email.