Friday, May 1, 2015

• THINK Together Science Fair

Ever have sun cooked pizza? I did courtesy of the kids in the THINK Together program at Wildomar Elementary. They were having a science fair and the theme was Solar Energy.
One of the deluxe models of homemade pizza ovens.

The pizza boxes were donated by Dominoes  Pizza, and some were brought in by parents. Some teams chose to make bagel pizzas, and others went for the dessert pizza angle, with things like marshmallow cream and gummy bears on it. There were official judges to see which team  produced the best tasting products, but I never heard any of the scores.

I did get to taste one of the pizzas towards the end of the afternoon... I lived.
Just kidding... though it wasn't gourmet by the time I got it, I still was glad to get a slice.
A look at a row of pizzas, as they baked in homemade ovens, with only the power of the California Sun.


I didn't taste any of the sweet pizzas for a couple of reasons. One, they were almost all gone. Two, the one I saw (see pic) was sort of a single gooey mass of chocolate, cookies and candies... perfect if you're in 4th grade. Not so perfect after you've hit 50. Compare the before and after pics and you'll see why I politely declined. ☺

Ah the glorious time of youth when stomachs are made of steel.

There were teams from every grade except Kindergarten. I arrived in time to hear the various squads discuss the methods and their favorite parts of their projects. As each group got younger, the kids tended to get more shy, though many already were showing leadership skills they'll no doubt be using in their futures.

I was pressed into action to help grade some of  the displays. Talk about pressure... but I managed.
There were displays by each team detailing what they'd done. The ones above show projects dealing with a solar car, and solar tea... which I think is longhand for Sun Tea. Most of the teams were doing the cooking and they keyed in on pizzas and hot dogs according to the displays I was reading.

The iced tea was quite good. A little sweetness, but not overpowering.


Since my kids are grown and out, and there are no grand kids yet, it's easy to forget what it's like around a group of school kids. So it was nice to spend an hour listening to the teams of students tell about their projects, and then watch them as they were enjoying the fruits of their labors.

After the feast... something tells me that some kids won't be having as much dinner tonight.

THINK Together is an after school program. 
The link below will take you to a blog I wrote about the program last year.
Click the Link
•      •      • 
You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six.
 —Yogi Berra

1 comment:

Let's hear what you have to say... for other inquiries try the email listed under "view my complete profile" but if you want to discuss a blog topic, I'll only do it in this comment section, not by email.