Probably the biggest news item came in the last few moments when it was announced that there will be a special city council meeting dealing with the topic of cannabis on October 24th.
1. Elsinore High School Presentation included a video made of a photography field trip and that the percentage of university ready students doubled from 21% ten years ago, to 41% this year.
A fun misunderstanding came when Mr. K mentioned "underwater housing" and Mayor Ben Benoit took it literally... and not as a device for using a camera underwater. See the short video for a bit of levity. ☺
|A proclamation was given to Battalion Chief Todd Phillips.|
L to R: Tim Walker, Dustin Nigg, Todd Phillips, Bridgette Moore, Mayor Ben Benoit and Marsha Swanson is behind the Mayor.
4. Library Update had Melina Velazquez share that the library had 6000 patrons in September. It's the 200 anniversary of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and that they will showing the 1931 Boris Karloff film, and then The Bride of Frankenstein as part of a double feature (check with the library for details).
She also highlighted that the chess club will be meeting on October 26th, and that there is an adult coloring book club. The library will be hosting an SAT prep class in November.
• Connie Nader talked about the library and the desire to see it expanded and that libraries are more than just about books.
• Ken Mayes talked about The Friends of the Library, voting no on Measure AA, an independent forensic audit of the city, and a "sunshine" ordinance.
• Rick Harris shared his concerns about a street light that was knocked over, and it took five days to have it cleaned up.
• Laura Girard represented Sycamore Academy and invited the council to visit the campus for their History Showcase on November 15th. And the new "school zone" that is now at their school.
• Joseph Lacaio(sp?) discussed big rig parking on Durango Court. (Odd factoid... the property in question is where my mom lived from 1989 to 2003)
• Miss Miller sang and then endorsed Wildomar City Council candidate Joseph Morabito.
1.6 Wildomar Marketplace (51:40 mark of the video)
• Ken Mayes pointed out flaws in the permitting process that would allow Wildomar Marketplace to hold their craft event at the park.
This item had no public speakers and only lasted about 4 minutes. (This item starts around the 1:02 mark of the video).
3.2 Community Development Block Grant/Consolidated Plan Briefing
Another short item that took just a couple of minutes, which included a public comment from Ken Mayes about the library. (Jump to the 1:06 mark of the video)
3.3 Professional Services Agreement with Social Work Action Group (SWAG) for Homeless Outreach (1:09 mark of the video)
City Manager Gary Nordquist discussed a three month agreement with SWAG that will cost $6,000. He mentioned wanting to have a longer agreement with them, but funding is an issue.
Ken Mayes brought up that SWAG isn't "shown" as being registered with the Registry of Charitable Trust.
• State of the City Event on October 17th starting at 5pm.
• Trunk or Treat at Marna O'Brien Park October 27th.
• Community photo contest will be coming soon.
• The election will be on Tuesday, November 6th.
• Coffee with the Mayor will be Monday, October 15th, 5:30pm at The Bean.
• Community Clean Up will be November 3rd. Elsinore High School and Ronald Reagan Elementary.
• Special City Council Meeting regarding Cannabis on October 24th.
• • •
This blog was produced for viewing on a desktop or a laptop. Though it's been optimized for smartphones, the formatting can look odd on a smartphone or if you get this delivered through email (such as missing video links). Link to proper format.