Friday, February 21, 2014

• Kumquats... The Zucchini of Citrus!

Ok, so you're asking, what does "the zucchini of citrus" mean. Well, if you're a backyard gardener, you probably have a guess. Kumquats, for me anyway, produce far more than I could ever use, and I have to look for clever ways to use them and or give them away.

If you've never had one, I think they taste like a tart orange. 

We've had this tree for about ten years... it hasn't failed to produce yet.


Of course the basic way to eat them is to pop them in your mouth... But when a tree gives you more than 100 pounds of the little oblong jewels every year, there's no way to eat that many before they go bad. 

(even if you could... 100 pounds? Ummm, no thank you)




 
So here is what I do...

I dehydrate them. 
Here it is in a nutshell... Pencils ready?
Even my Shih Tsu will eat them... especially once dry.

  • pick 'em, 
  • clean 'em, 
  • cut 'em, 
  • spread' em, 
  • dry 'em, 
  • weigh 'em, 
  • bag 'em and 
  • eat 'em. 

They taste great. If you know me, send me a PM at FaceBook, and if it's between February and April hit me up for some... there are probably plenty still on the tree...  I've seen them going for between $2.99 and $3.99 a pound.

________________________________________

To know when another Wildomar Rap blog gets uploaded, I suggest following it from FaceBook... but if you aren't fans of FaceBook like my mother isn't... then you can simply check back periodically, or subscribe by email or even that RSS deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear what you have to say... for other inquiries try the email listed under "view my complete profile" but if you want to discuss a blog topic, I'll only do it in this comment section, not by email.