Saturday, November 16, 2019

• City Council Meeting November 2019

The meeting began with Mayor Marsha Swanson asking Assemblywoman Melissa Melendez to lead us in the pledge of allegiance.
Apologies for a subpar photo. My camera can be a jerk at times.
The Assemblywoman then spent about five minutes giving a legislative update, warning us to be careful for a pending ballot measure that aims to revise Prop 13. Look for it as soon as the March Primary election.


"If they can change it for commercial [property], the very next thing that's coming is residential. I guarantee you, as sure as I'm standing before you today." 
—Assemblywoman Melissa Melendez
We then had our quarterly police update, complete with several slides (please check this link for all the slides and video).

Wildomar Elementary School update
Principal Michael Hoffman honored two teachers, Roddy St. Yves and Gay St.Yves, who have taught for 34 years and 35 years respectively, at the school.
Mr. Hoffmann salutes Gay and Roddy St.Yves.
Quarterly Library Update (summed up in the image below). Our library is a great community asset, be sure to take advantage of all they have to offer.

Link to Wildomar Library's web page.
Quarterly Code Enforcement Report
If you've been ignoring code enforcement (parking RVs, disabled cars, and other disconnected trailers in the street, or blocking the right of way) I'd suggest remedying it now. You've been warned. 
You're welcome... I made this graphic readable.
3.1 CEQA Negative Declaration Budget for Cannabis Ordinance (1:11:45 in the video)
Here's the skinny on this item. 

Due to a recent California Supreme Court case that mandated San Diego County to include some type of CEQA review in their cannabis ordinances, which was then applied to all other municipalities in the state, Wildomar must do so too.

It's not retroactive, so cities that have already hammered out such an ordinance, like Lake Elsinore, don't have to backtrack and can continue with their exemption if that was the path they took.

This state mandate has added $56,000 to the process. Basically doubling the original budget that had been set at $50,000.

I didn't anticipate there being much discussion on this. Seemed like another typical ding that the state likes to hit local government with... but I was wrong. There were three public comments and then a fair amount of council discussion.
Wildomar Rap Reminder:

This is where being on the city council clips my blogger wings to the bone. In the past I would have quoted all the council members, and pointed out any shortcomings in their arguments. But that style went out the window when nearly 58% voted me to represent them on the dais.


If you're interested in the council discussion, I invite you to watch the video (at the bottom of the blog) beginning at the 1:23:00 mark.
During the public comments, the question of liability came up, "just say no", and "I believe you're doing this because of the money, I don't know what other reason you would consider, and it could bring in a large chunk of money to Wildomar."

When it was my turn to speak I asked for clarification when it came to the issue of liability, Planning Director Matt Bassi answered: 
If the council does end up approving this funding, and we go forward with the negative declaration, just like any other action by council, it can be challenged. It's not a developer driven code amendment, so we would take on the burden of defending it. 
—Matt Bassi Planning Director

This was my response to the question of motivation:

I heard one comment talk about, "It could bring in a sizable chunk of money to Wildomar, are you doing it for the money?"

I want this (commercial cannabis) to be regulated. Currently... the marijuana is already here and it's unregulated. I don't know why people would be in favor of having an unregulated market. 
—Councilmember Joseph Morabito
A survey done nearly two years ago was brought up during a public comment. 

During her public comment, Gina Castanon mentioned that the survey that has been used as the primary reason to keep commercial cannabis banned was, "flawed, in my opinion"

Shortly thereafter, the same survey was used as a key reasoning point for opposing the regulation of cannabis in Wildomar during council discussion.


Opinion Time


The survey was done to see if Measure AA would pass or not (the sales tax increase that was approved by a vote of the people in 2018)

The survey came back with the claims that AA would get 68% of the vote, but in reality, it only got 58% of the vote. Those 10 percentage points equate to being off the mark by 17%. That is a staggering miscalculation in my view.

The same survey asked a handful of questions, to less than one thousand registered Wildomar voters. It came back with 55% saying they were opposed to any commercial cannabis businesses in the city.

If the first part of the survey (about taxes) was wrong by 17%, then can't we assume that the second part was also wrong to one degree or another? 

If it wasn't off by the same 17%, how about a third of that... 5%. Which makes the survey an even split.

That said, since when are major issues decided by a survey of less than 10% of the voters?*** 

Still more arguments against the flawed survey

It only asked registered voters their opinion, not the residents that choose not to register to vote for one reason or another. There are many people that choose NOT to register based on their religious beliefs.

Aren't their opinions important on matters that don't get settled at the ballot box? I sure think so.

How about longtime permanent residents? I won't name any, but for example, before my wife took the oath of citizenship back in 2007, she could not register to vote. 

There was no outreach made to those that cannot register to vote, but are every bit as much a part of our community as the registered voters.

***Due to Brown Act considerations, I will not elaborate on my opinions, in this blog, as to whether the city council should put this measure on the ballot, though I'm certain I did post about this in the past, and believe you me... I'll have both barrels primed if that topic comes to the dais. 
The only other thing from this item that I'll report on was Councilmember Ben Benoit's response to the threat of litigation. 

We have run this council, for a long time, under the threat of lawsuit, and I'm tired of it. I'm tired of hearing that. I'm tired of feeling like we have to only go that one direction because of a lawsuit.
—Councilmember Ben Benoit

Again, I encourage you to watch this item in the video at the bottom of the blog.

3.3 2019 California Building Codes Adoption

For many things a city has no choice in, and one must adopt the edicts of the state. This is one of those. I'm not saying the 2019 building codes are bad, I'm saying there was no choice in the matter. Take a look at my favorite line in the agenda packet: 
Moreover, State law provides that the 2019 Building Codes will take effect in the City even if the City does not adopt this ordinance, as is required by law.
I only added this item to the blog as an illustration of how much (or how little) latitude a city council actually has when it comes to most things.

But buried deep in that item was something I didn't understand being part of "building" in the first place. 

Fun factoid from the agenda packet on this topic, found on page 226 

308.1.6.3 Sky lanterns or similar devices. A person shall not release or cause to be released a sky lantern or similar device. 
Somehow I think that free floating flame driven devices aren't the best thing for our fire prone patch on the planet.
All kidding aside, I can't imagine why this was listed in the 2019 Building Codes.

3.4 Holiday Lights Home Decorating Contest 2019
There are two categories, Traditional and Clark Griswold (meaning: crazy over the top amount of lights, where the electric company really loves you). I'm still waiting for three new categories, Scrooge, Grinch and Al Bundy. ☺☻

See flyer for details. 



•                •                •

It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance, for it requires knowledge to perceive it; and, therefore, he that can perceive it hath it not.
– Jeremy Taylor

Wildomar Rap is among those that can perceive it. Hence, it hath it not. 
This blog was produced for viewing on a desktop or a laptop. Though it's been optimized for smartphones, the formatting can look odd on a smartphone or if you get this delivered through email (such as missing video links). Link to proper format.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear what you have to say... for other inquiries try the email listed under "view my complete profile" but if you want to discuss a blog topic, I'll only do it in this comment section, not by email.