Sunday, June 14, 2020

• Unity in the Community Rally

This week I had the opportunity to attend two rallies that were held in the same location, that were both focused on the same issues in the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd. 

Below you'll see the stated purposes of the event.
Why We're here 
(3 points of purpose)
1. Denounce and fight against racism
2. Promote unity amongst all races
3. Lay a foundation to bridge the gap between law enforcement and citizens
I can't imagine a single person living today not being in full support of such goals. Then again, I've heard people actually say that they want to abolish the police. 

That was actually said by a man that claimed to be a representative of the Inland Empire division of Black Lives Matter at the rally last Tuesday. 
Gary L. Adams asked for the police officers and local elected officials to join him.
This rally was better organized, but only drew about a third of the crowd size of the other. I can't answer why, because all the other indicators should have pointed to the Saturday rally as having 1000 people attend instead of around 100. 
Taken during the intermission. I know two faces in that photo. In green is Ivory Spann and Captain Lujan of Riverside County Sheriff's department (also Wildomar's police chief) is near the center.
The weather was much cooler. This was scheduled to end around lunchtime, the other started at lunchtime. This rally had the backing of several well known local churchleaders, the other was organized by a couple of well intentioned, but very green and youthful people.


I don't know why this event didn't draw a large crowd, and I won't bother surmising. 
A new friend, Quinlan "Q" Strong. You can see in the inset in the upper right where we had been standing near each other when Pastor Willie Oliver encouraged those nearby to reach out to each other. 
Below are a series of videos that I live streamed on Facebook. These are some very inspirational messages. The image quality isn't all that great and it's somewhat out of sync, but it's the audio that's important. 

If you have the time, I suggest listening to each of them. Here is a link to the full seven video playlist. Below are the seven separate videos.

First is from Lake Elsinore Mayor Brian Tisdale. He thanked the organizers and those that attended. 


Pastor Willie Oliver had a very powerful message, "We need to understand what true unity is."

He timed it to last 8 minutes and 40 seconds, that's the length of time that George Floyd had a knee on his neck. 


Senator Melissa Melendez spoke next and she talked about the divisions that are perpetuated by the media "left, right and everything in between" making money as the divide us.

Wildomar Mayor Dustin Nigg told the crowd that "racism and police brutality are never ok." He also quoted one of his colleagues on the city council, "We are all one large community, made up of dozens of smaller communities. When one of is hurting, we are all hurting". 


Pastor Phil Valdez asked, "What really can I do? I still believe that one person can change the world." 


Beau Arbuthnot was easily one of the most compelling of all the speakers. His perspective is more unique than most. He is both a preacher and a police officer, "I'm not defending what happened [to George Floyd], we stand in solidarity and that's why we're here. Every cop that is here, every police officer that is here is very upset. Disappointed. Hurt. When I saw that on television I was hurt because I knew I had to go back to work the next day. I knew I had to deal with this anger, frustration. Guess what, I'm in between. I'm angry. I'm frustrated, but I gotta go back to work again."


Event organizer Gary L. Adams asked his family to come to the front. "This is what we look like. This is why I despise racism. Because in my family we got it all."

The family of Gary L. Adams.
•                •                •

The way to right wrongs is to turn the light of truth upon them.

– Ida B. Wells

Wildomar Rap is all about the light of truth. As Oliver asked, "Please sir, may I have some more?"


This blog was produced for viewing on a desktop or a laptop. Though it's been optimized for smartphones, the formatting can look odd on a smartphone or if you get this delivered through email (such as missing video links). Link to proper format.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear what you have to say... for other inquiries try the email listed under "view my complete profile" but if you want to discuss a blog topic, I'll only do it in this comment section, not by email.