Sunday, September 25, 2022

• Better Know a Candidate: Jasmine Bearden, District 1 Write-In Candidate

UPDATE: This comment was left by Jasmine on the "Better Know a Candidate" blog at facebook. If she issues an official statement, I'll add it here.

Posted September 28th.


Just when we thought the District 1 city council race was a two-person race, a third candidate qualified as a write-in Candidate. 

Write-in candidates still have to qualify just like the other candidates (twenty valid signatures from registered voters of said district). Then, the votes can be counted but the name WILL NOT appear on the ballot. 

I recently sat down with Jasmine Bearden for a "Better Know a Candidate" blog. We had a good conversation, she's very likable, but due to time crunches, she emailed the answers to the questions. 

That saved me several hours of transcription, which I really don't have at the moment, but allowed her time to contemplate, whereas the other two candidates didn't have that luxury.

I have set questions. 

Some are serious questions, and others are fun questions just to give you a glimpse into who the candidate is. This isn't 60 Minutes and I'm not Mike Wallace, so there aren't any hard-hitting follow-up questions.

I suggest that ALL voters contact the candidates and ask directly any questions you have. This is the time to put them to the test, they want your votes, see how well they turn around your phone calls or emails. 

I'll be using photos approved by the candidates. As of the writing of this blog, I will not be publicly endorsing any of the candidates. All are likable people, and I believe that I'll be able to work with whichever of the three gets elected... and that only applies if I get re-elected. 😅😁

I did add an additional question for Jasmine since she's a write-in candidate. Let's start with that one.

 WR  The regular nomination period was about 30 days between mid-July and mid-August. In fact, since the incumbent wasn't running, District 1 was allowed another three workdays for candidates to get their paperwork in. Is there an explanation as to why you didn't avail yourself of that time to qualify and then be on the ballot?

 JB   I chose to run as a write-in candidate after seeing the nominees. There were two primary concerns. The first concern was a lack of experience in contending with civic issues head-on. The other concerns were [the] values being propagated that are in direct opposition to the majority of voters in Wildomar. 

Too often these candidates run with no one to challenge them and this begins the unraveling of communities at their core.

After much consideration and knowing the long road ahead of me, I felt that it was important to defend the values that have made Wildomar so unique. 

My aim is not to be divisive or discourage diversity but rather to represent all members of our community with deference and integrity. 

Write-in candidate Jasmine Bearden


 WR How long have you been in Wildomar and how did you choose it to be your home?

 JB   I’ve lived in the vicinity of Wildomar for about 11 years, in the city of Wildomar itself (where I currently reside) for about 6 of those years. One of the major reasons for moving to this area was to live closer to my mother and help take care of her when she was grappling with health issues. When my mother passed away, we had already become integrated into the community and had no desire to return back to Orange County where I came from.

 WR  What type of community involvement have you been part of?

 JB   Well, I’ve always been involved in my community in some form or another. Whether it be on a one-to-one basis, helping neighbors to find resources, or grassroots activism, which I have been involved with since I was in high school. Out here in the Inland Empire, two friends and I formed a small patriot group called the California Liberty Dogs. 

We initially met as a small part of a larger group of concerned citizens who “stopped the busses” in Murrieta. Later on, we hosted different patriot rallies including “Back the Badge” rallies in support of our law enforcement and other patriot rallies during elections. 


Passing out cookies to our Law Enforcement with the California Liberty Dogs. 

 WR  What is your day job? 

 JB   My professional background is in healthcare, I started out as a CNA in the MedSurg unit of a major hospital in Orange County. Eventually, I moved into the OR where I worked as an Operating Coordinator, then as the Perioperative Services Coordinator for a major Orthopedic Institute. 

I left all of that behind to focus on caring for my own family members including my mother and my brother. Later my daughter was diagnosed with Graves disease, so we added homeschooling to the repertoire. Currently, I volunteer with the American Cancer Society at the Discovery Shop in Temecula. 

 WR  Time on the job?

 JB   I have worked in healthcare in various capacities for about 15 years.

Before that, I worked in retail, in sales for Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale’s and then security for Bullocks Wilshire then later I. Magnin. And of course, I was a waitress! I worked for Coco’s for another number of years. It was a great way to get to know the locals in the community.

 WR  Being on city council can be very time-consuming. When elected will your schedule allow for you to be "all in"?

 JB   Absolutely! Is there any other way to be?

Fun question time

 WR  You're at a venue with multiple entertainment options. Do you head for the stand-up comedy, the dueling pianos or karaoke?

 JB   Dueling pianos are fun but I do appreciate good comedy. I have a pretty colorful sense of humor and a strong sense of irony. So I think for the most part comedy would be the first choice. Especially since singing isn’t my strong suit!

 WR  Wildomar has changed considerably since the freeway was built in the mid-80s. What will your approach be to balancing the rural areas of Wildomar with the areas that aren't rural?

 JB   As I had mentioned in our chat, when I first moved here I was told Wildomar was a bit of the last of the Wild West. I loved that! But I think it’s all about balance, I think we should work to preserve the rural nature of Wildomar, while simultaneously wanting it to be a safe and clean environment with quality amenities that complement our lifestyle. 

A place we want to call our home. I love that I live someplace where I can keep my chickens, where people have space for horses and activities that you can’t do in a typical city. But still, we also have some wonderfully creative and unexpected offerings. Continue to do that. 

Personally, I wouldn’t mind a shooting range or an archery range, things that are a little outside the box to preserve the uniqueness that makes us different than the surrounding cities. I’m also a big supporter of small businesses, craft fairs, and farmers' markets. I think these up close and personal experiences do enrich our community. 

 WR  What are your top three concerns for Wildomar?

 JB   Overall, quality of life, and public safety would be the top two. Growth and how to navigate through that reasonably would be the next.

 Fun question time

 WR  When you get a break in the action, how do you unwind/hobbies?

 JB   I love theology, my faith is an integral part of my life. Gardening, raising my chickens, and listening to my daughter's unique take on life are other favorite things to do. 

 WR  What's your understanding of the job of city council members and/or what your job would be after you're elected?

 JB   City council members often serve on a myriad of committees. The hope is that they are here because they want to be good stewards of the community, advocates for those who may be underserved, and facilitators of services that are meaningful to everybody, even to those who don’t necessarily need or use them. 

Nobody wants their hard-earned tax dollars to be wasted on frivolous or unnecessary things. The most important part of the city council is the people they serve. And good city council should be the backbone of their community. 

 WR  Currently each council member appoints a planning commissioner. What's your approach to future growth and how heavily would that factor in when choosing a commissioner?

 JB   While I personally gravitate toward slow growth. I think reasonable and responsible growth is key. I think this almost goes without saying, it’s important to find somebody who understands the character of the city and the needs of its constituents. 

As I had shared with you somebody once shared with me that they would like to see this area grow by way of Los Angeles. That’s a big unequivocal NO! That’s a perfect example of not understanding your surroundings or the people who dwell within it. Let’s avoid that! 

Softball question alert

 WR  Are you more of a dog person or a cat person?

 JB   I am a chicken person! The truth be told, I love all animals. I can’t think of one that I don’t like. 

Chickpea and Dahlia enjoying the fruits of my labor.

 WR  What got you interested in running for city council?

 JB   My major concern was preserving the values that make Wildomar such a special place and whether or not the two conventional candidates shared these same values. But also, how much time have they previously invested in their community; formally or informally. 

I think that it’s important to remember we represent ALL of the citizens who live here not just one’s own personal interests. We want optimal quality of life for everyone. A safe, clean community collectively while remembering each member within is unique. 

Fun question time

 WR  What is your car radio usually set to?

 JB   Sometimes I might catch up on phone calls, sometimes I might go over the rose and thorn moments of the day, what worked and what can I do better. I pray a lot. Sometimes for the bad drivers! I do like music, my musical taste run the gamut, from Yumira, the Japanese pianist, to Stevie Ray Vaughan. I’ve been known to rock out from time to time. So, very diverse. 

 WR  Social media can be a great tool. It can be a great way to communicate with residents, but it can also lead to headaches for those that partake too much. Do you have a plan on how to use it after you're elected?

 JB   I’ll continue to use social media regardless of the outcome of this election. As of now, it’s a tool for people to find some commonality with me as a candidate. Should I be elected, I would most definitely refine my page to what I would hope would be the most beneficial to the community with regard to updates, news, and alerts. 

Highlighting local businesses, and putting the spotlight on local services. Whatever would be the most beneficial for the people reading it. I would definitely encourage productive conversation and engagement. 

 WR  What strengths do you have that you think will help you as a city leader?

 JB  Being levelheaded, objective, and willing to listen. Being proactive rather than reactive. I genuinely like the people I’m surrounded by and I genuinely care about what matters to them. I’m fairly good at navigating through complex situations. 

Another strength that I have is recognizing the limitations of my abilities and listening to others who have more experience and insight. There’s always a learning curve with a new job, so I think that’s an important characteristic to have. 

Softball question alert

 WR  What is your favorite meal?

 JB   Steamed artichokes! I love smoked salmon and I’m veggie eater! 

 WR  How available to District 1 residents do you plan on being?

 JB   As much as they need me.  People are welcome to reach out to me at any time. If I don’t have the answers they’re looking for, I’ll certainly do my best to find them. I think following up and following through are vitally important. Not everyone is going to like my answers, but that’s part of the job. 

 WR  If you had the attention of the Wildomar voters, what would you tell them are some key factors that a voter should be looking for in a city council member?

 JB   I think our representatives ought to have the awareness that the intention of a policy is sometimes different than the effect that it may have. We want our representatives to think things through clearly, be critical thinkers, think, and as importantly, see things through a constitutional lens. 

Last of the easy-peasy lemon-squeezy questions

 WR  Any go-to phone games that you indulge in (mine is Words With Friends, my mom's is Candy Crush)?

 JB   I am a world-class solitaire champion! 

 WR  Any closing thoughts that you'd like to share with the voters?

 JB  I think the point that I would like to stress is that I am genuinely trying to run a principled, authentic, transparent campaign. While there is an inevitable learning curve, what is not lacking is sincerity and willingness to learn. 

I learned from my brother John, to persist tenaciously even through difficult times. My brother was diagnosed with nephritis at a young age and endured three kidney transplants. He completed his master's degree 10 months before his death, it was his lifelong dream. 

My father was a United States Marine for 23 years. After he retired from the Marine Corps, he was a lieutenant at the Costa Mesa P.D. After my father passed on, my mother was a single mom with 7 children, four were still at home. These things all left a definite impact on me. 

It’s given me a unique perception and insight. Being true to my values, maintaining my integrity, but also being willing to consider different perspectives are all valuable assets to me. At the end of it all is what best serves our community.

Her mother and father on their wedding day.

 WR  What's your contact info, the best way for the voters to reach out to you? 

 JB  Whatever is the best way that suits them. 

My email is: jasminelouisebearden@gmail.com

My cell number is: (949) 400-1452 

People are welcome to send me an email or text message or pick up the phone and give me call. I’ll do my best to answer any questions that anyone may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear what you have to say... for other inquiries try the email listed under "view my complete profile" but if you want to discuss a blog topic, I'll only do it in this comment section, not by email.