Sunday, October 6, 2024

• Measure T: Your Yes Vote Raises Your Yearly Taxes By $197*

*If you buy one of those new homes off of Palomar in the Avalino development.

Measure T is asking for $28 per $100k of assessed value.
My wife and I purchased our home in 2001 for $194k (that was blindingly high for the times), but I took a peek at our tax bill and its assessed value is closer to $280k today.
These are my most recent property taxes. I can only imagine how much higher the taxes a newer home, sold recently must be... and that's not factoring in the crazy new insurance rates or HOA fees.

Though I voted against Measure V, and will be voting against Measure T (knowing full well that my fellow residents love raising their own taxes every chance they get), I'm already prepared to shell out another $76.69 per year.

A lot of money is going into this campaign. Don't worry Pro-Measure T peeps, Californians love higher taxes, and with the paltry 55% threshold to get over, it's a lead pipe cinch. 

In preparation for this blog, I went and read my opinions the last time LEUSD asked for $100,000,000 from the property taxpayers (2016), and my opinions really haven't changed on the subject. 

Link to 2016 blog regarding LEUSD's previous bond

There were a couple of images I created for that blog that I'll reuse here since they are still applicable and make the point.

If you vote against school bonds, you're a big meanie!
(It's always with the heartstrings to get into your wallet)

At the time of the 2016 Measure V vote, LEUSD had no bonds. I like the members of the school board, but back then there was a quote in the Press Enterprise where a member of the board said something like this, “We’re one of the few school districts in the whole county that doesn’t have a school bond.”

Which inspired me to create the following graphic, now known as a meme.
Sometimes it's just fine to not try and keep up with the Joneses.
In fact, they're sort of using that same card again by trying to shame us since we're currently paying the lowest school bond payments in the sampled region.
Do what the old Washington Senators fans used to do when reading the standings... turn it upside down and you'll see that we are actually doing better than all the others listed.
If it does pass, you're supposed to be pleased that we aren't Hemet based on my editing of the above graph to show what the new figures will become.
Maybe all these NEW taxes are something that you welcome. I just wasn't raised that way.

Below I'll add the flyers from the Yes on T group, then follow it up with one more opinion (scout's honor)
There is something about qualifying for matching grants if this is passed. Just another way the state jerks around with the voters. Giving us "damned if you do, damned if you don't" options at every turn.

Lucky me, the average will be paying $104 per year, and I'll be under $80.
Being below average never felt so good.
Until you factor in Measure 2016's Measure V that is.

Wildomar Rap opinion time


Let me start off by saying that I was raised in a middle class family... oh wait, that's someone else's tagline.

I've long since adjusted to the 2016 $105,000,000 bond passed in 2016.

It's a 30 year bond, but less than eight years into that bond they are coming back for nearly double that asking for another $198,000,000. 

It's VERY fair to ask, so when will LEUSD be coming around with their hand out again? 

WHEN? 

How many different bonds are they willing to ask homeowners to shoulder?

That's not even taking into account current demographics that are saying growth in California, even the IE, is no longer a thing. Below is a link to the recent SCAG (Southern California Association of Governments) Demographics Workshop that I attended. 

It's all interesting, but it's also nearly four hours long. This video is cued up to the keynote address (about half an hour) where the expert discusses the future of SoCal.
I did talk with one of the LEUSD higher-ups at the Wildomar State of the City event 10 days ago. I told him I was going to give my opinions on Measure T. We all have opinions, and this is what mine looks like.

Vote your conscience, don't be swayed by emotionalism... even from friends in high places.

Link to voter info that you should be getting in the mail

wildomarrap@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear what you have to say... for other inquiries try the email listed under "view my complete profile" but if you want to discuss a blog topic, I'll only do it in this comment section, not by email.