Saturday, July 14, 2018

• Planning A Run For City Council?

Now is the time if you're considering a run for city council. 

Though it would be nice if you're somewhat up to speed with things in Wildomar, and have been to at least one city council meeting, those are NOT requirements.

This year, there are three seats up for grabs (though I predict that at least one of them will go uncontested). Since Wildomar is now in districts, you might not be voting on a council seat this year, and you can only run in the district where you are registered to vote.

Only the odd numbered districts are up this year
Do you know which district you live in?
As a local blogger that covers city hall, and someone that is an announced candidate for District 3, plus is friends with everyone on the council, I find myself in a very unenviable position. 

I say that because I'm firm believer in term limits, and all three city council members facing re-election have been there for nearly two full terms, and Marsha Swanson has been in office for 10 years.

No one is quibbling with the representation we've gotten from the current city council, they've been outstanding, but if we believe in something like term limits, shouldn't a measure of consistency apply... even on a local level where we know the players personally?

For someone to make a serious bid for office, they should explain why they are running in the first place, and then highlight the differences that exist between them and any other candidates.

Since a seat on the city council differs from higher offices, it's a non partisan race, a candidate will most likely be running against some of the status quo (unless there is an open seat) and not the other party's candidate, which can spill over to the other council members in the other districts in a small city like ours, it's simply the nature of the beast... it's not personal. 
Click the image to visit the campaign website to learn more.
I'm sure that just like Tim Walker told me, when I told him I was planning on running in district three, "Hey, that's what democracy is all about," the other two would likewise welcome a challenger.

Wildomar being a small city, population most recently estimated to be 36,287, and having districts that have about 7,500 people per... it doesn't have to cost a lot to run for office.

In fact, it can cost you nothing, but I don't see how that would be a path to victory. 

If you go the route of doing it for no money, that means you won't even get a statement printed in the sample ballot. Though I do know one candidate, George Cambero, that won his seat on the EVMWD Board of Directors without one.
Are you more likely to see Mickey Mouse ears here,
a Starbucks logo, or a guy from the 1800s in a colorized photo?
You'll also want to spend a few shekels on signs, and flyers too, but it doesn't have to be costly. It helps if you're comfortable making your own graphics, websites and videos (those can be pricey to have others create for you), but you might be able to recruit volunteers to help with those things. 

If you choose to "pull papers" and run, you'll need to gather 20 signatures to qualify, so you should get no less than 30 to make sure you have 20 legit signatures. Also, they have to be from registered voters in your district. 

The time to pull papers begins Monday, July 16th through the first part of August.


In the 2014 blog, the cost to add a ballot statement was listed at $450. The amount fluctuates, but plan on paying at least that much if you want the voters to hear your views compressed into 200 words or less.
The best way to get the word out (and to annoy people) is with needless repetition.
If you choose to run, I'm offering you a legit blog of who you are, even if you and I have butted heads in the past, and even if you're in District 3 running against me. 

To get an idea of what a "better know a candidate" blog looks like, check out four of the ones I've done in the past. 
If any of the sitting council members, that are looking to be reelected, would like a fresh blog written about them, or if they'd like a 2018 update added at the top or bottom of the old one, with more current issues addressed, this is your invitation. Contact me if so.

I'm not saying that I'll make a cartoon/spoof campaign video for you, because that takes more time than I want to spend in 2018, but you never know. In 2014 I made one for each candidate, though one was intentionally done in a disfavorable light, not listed below, something I won't be repeating.

They were all in fun, but are dated now. As much as Israel Leija didn't win, I think I like his free commercial the best. What beats a Norm's restaurant and a bowling alley? ☺




♦                ♦♦                ♦♦                ♦

Now an open letter to the council, and or the city staff.

We know that for years and years I've been a cheerleader for most things that the city does (97% at least), and that I've soft pedaled other things that didn't go as planned (the Freedom Swing comes to mind, lack of live streaming of city meetings, and the long delay in getting the new website up and running).

Over and over I've gone out of my way to stand up to whoever wanted to say boo about the city, often times disregarding facts that could have made staffers look bad. (McVicar Street is an example)

It's been a good run, but I've changed gears.

Mind you, I'm still a big fan (that's why I'm running, looking to get us to the next level) and I'm not here to dump on the city. Each person attached to the city knows that I'm very easy to work with, personable and diligent in my endeavors... even if I uncork an opinion that rankles people from time to time.

If I get on the council, and there is a topic that we don't see eye to eye on, you can count on a spirited exchange of ideas. All those involved should take it seriously, but never personally. I'm not the type that has to win an argument. I know there are more opinions than just mine... even if yours is wrong.

I nearly made a career out of labeling people as Cantankerotti, and it was great sport as Blogger Guy, but those aren't the actions of a council member or a person campaigning to be on the council. 
Apparently I like making different versions of this flyer.☺
I know it confuses some people that I can have a cordial, reasonable conversation with people that, in the past, I ran ragged in this blog, people that have given the city fits over the years. It's just a respectful conversation, not a marriage proposal.

I don't know what to tell you, I'm not afraid of other people's ideas, or opinions. It's all in the realm of local politics, and frequently they have legitimate points that need to be heard.

Conversely, to the people that I used to run ragged in the cyber pages of this blog. 

Please don't misconstrue my new approach with having "changed sides". I'm not on anyone's "side" but the side of logic, reason and what's best for the city of Wildomar —which may greatly differ from your ideas on the subject.
Click image to visit the facebook page.
Those shooting stars almost look like insect antennae.
What you can expect from me, and you can hold my feet to the fire if I abandon this pledge, is to treat you and your concerns with respect, a level of friendliness and dignity... and the best part of the deal is that you do NOT have to reciprocate. I've spent years stirring the pot, and understand if you think this new approach is just a campaign ruse. Make me prove it over time. 

I hope that clears things up a bit for those that have been following along.
•                •                •

Life is a cycle, and a cycle is a wheel, and if the wheel doesn't turn often enough, life can be rather dull.
– EG Marshall, CBSRMT 1976

Wildomar Rap is blog, and a blog isn't anything like a wheel, but if you can be convinced otherwise, I know a guy with a bridge that would like to talk to you.

This blog was produced for viewing on a desktop or a laptop. Though it's been optimized for smartphones, the formatting can look odd on a smartphone or if you get this delivered through email (such as missing video links). Link to proper format.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear what you have to say... for other inquiries try the email listed under "view my complete profile" but if you want to discuss a blog topic, I'll only do it in this comment section, not by email.