Monday, July 13, 2020

• Tres Lagos Affordable Housing Update

You may remember that at the very end of last year I published a blog regarding 265 affordable housing units that were going to be between Hidden Springs, Catt Road and Arnett.
The folder that I got during my meeting.

I'm not going to get into the history of this long proposed project at this time. I'm sure that will be gone over by the applicants when they set a community meeting regarding this development. 

The intent of this blog is to give an update from the first of the year, I won't be sharing any opinions.

This was temporarily derailed as the county was in discussions with the city regarding the property, which has been owned by the county since Wildomar was part of the county.

This land has covenants attached to it that only allows low income housing on it for at least the next 45 years. 

One option was for the city to purchase the land and let it sit fallow for a couple of generations until the covenants expire in the far flung future, and choose its ultimate fate then.

The problem with that, even before Covid19, was there wasn't any money laying around to be invested in a piece of land that was going to just sit there. I can think of about 1000 other productive things to do with that much money in Wildomar. 

By declining to take control over that land, the original county plan came back to the fore. Sell the land to Palm Communities as had been previously intended. 

Today I met with the head of Palm Communities and we discussed the Tres Lagos development. 

At this point in the blog I have to tiptoe lightly because this will be coming to the city council at some point, and I need to keep my objectivity in tact. 

During the meeting I shared my main concerns here, and that is primarily regarding public outreach, and clear communication with the neighborhood. (I do have some logistical concerns, but, as already stated, those can be gone over another time.)

I started off by telling the team that I was there, not to represent my own views, but those of the immediate community. 

As we were wrapping up, I reiterated that I may feel one way, but in the end I'll be representing the views of those most affected by the project. 

With that in mind, a rough timeline will have the property changing hands sometime in August, and a community meeting could come as early as September. 
This is an outline. Things can change without notice.
A lot is up in the air at this point, and then throw in the Covid19 restrictions and it gets a little impractical to use ink on the calendar at this time.
Not sure how legible this will be, but it gives a breakdown of phase I of 88 units.
If you have thoughts or opinions about this development, please plan on attending any community meetings that the Palm Communities plans on hosting. 

From the 90 minute meeting I had, I believe they want to be good neighbors, and want to show you what they have in mind. 

They also want to hear your concerns.

You can reach out to them at their website or reach out to me at jmorabito@cityofwildomar.org to ask for further information. 

Here is a link to the Palm Communities website www.palmcommunities.com 


•                •                •

“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”

– Albert Einstein

If Wildomar Rap was imaginative, it would encircle the world, but old knees make encircling Wildomar enough a daunting task as it is. 


This blog was produced for viewing on a desktop or a laptop. Though it's been optimized for smartphones, the formatting can look odd on a smartphone or if you get this delivered through email (such as missing video links). Link to proper format.


2 comments:

  1. I don't think is a good idea to build apartments for low income people! Our community don't want low income apts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think is a good idea to build apartments for low income people! Our community don't want low income apts.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say... for other inquiries try the email listed under "view my complete profile" but if you want to discuss a blog topic, I'll only do it in this comment section, not by email.